On March 30, 1981, Jerry Parr was the Secret Service agent standing next to Ronald Reagan when John Hinckley, Jr. stepped out of the crowd, intent on killing the president. IN THE SECRET SERVICE is an adrenaline-filled ride through the life of the agent who saved Ronald Reagan’s life.
Parr, who died October 9, 2015 at the age of 85, spent much of his life as a silent eyewitness to history, with a gun at his fingertips. What motivates a man who is ready at a moment’s notice to step into the path of a bullet?
In IN THE SECRET SERVICE, you’ll also follow Parr’s inner journey. That journey led him from the White House, where he was Special Agent in Charge of the Presidential Protective Division, to the streets of the poor in Washington, D.C., to the mountain passes of war-torn El Salvador to help orphans.
You won’t want to miss this insider’s perspective on the Secret Service and a look into the heart of a man who was — and is — ready to sacrifice himself for another. At times heart-pounding, at times heartrending, this richly textured memoir of a Secret Service Agent will first move you to the edge of your seat, then to the depths of your soul.
- Learn about Jerry Parr’s early life — including his unusual first encounter with Ronald Reagan.
- View a gallery of some of the powerful heads of state Parr has protected over his career.
- Read how the Kennedy assassination impacted Jerry Parr personally and changed the Secret Service.
- Learn the details of the Reagan assassination attempt, including the critical snap decision Parr had to make in a speeding limousine with the wounded president.
- Read about Jerry Parr’s ministries and his service to “the least of these.”
- See what people are saying about IN THE SECRET SERVICE.
- Read the latest news about IN THE SECRET SERVICE by Jerry and Carolyn Parr.
Buy IN THE SECRET SERVICE now from one of the online retailers listed in the sidebar or find a store near you.
©2016 Jerry and Carolyn Parr. All Rights Reserved.